Through A Glass Darkly

This phrase is mentioned in Corinthians in the New Testament of the Bible. I have read the New Testament through at least three times, initially the King James Version. I must admit, the first time I read this phrase, I truly didn't get it. But with time, and with the guidance of the Holy Spirit, I have come to understand that it refers to the imperfect perception of reality that we as humans have of the world.

You see what is real and material, but there is another reality underneath, around, and between this visceral being that we call the material world. Have you ever had a surreal experience, dreamlike, but you knew that you weren't dreaming? I am sure we all have experienced deja vu. What about other moments that seem subreal, yet hyperreal at the same time. I was talking to my mother and sister about times that I have heard my name being distinctly called. I turned around and literally no one was there. I know I was not dreaming, and I actually heard it aloud. Was it angels? My sister suggested that maybe someone was calling my name because they needed me, but there were in another place. Do we have a connection to our loved ones that transcends time and distance? But then, maybe it was just synapses firing out of context. I don't know.

It is scary to look at these situations where the normal laws of science and physics don't seem to apply, but they exist. Can we drown them out, tune them out, and call ourselves crazy so that we don't have to accept these circumstances? I think not. We do ourselves a disservice. To look at the material as all there is, to leaving out a piece of the puzzle. We are not truly full beings if we do this.

Why is it that every person on earth is unique? If you believe only in the material than there is no explanation of this. The sum has to be greater than it's parts. Life cannot be a random mix of biochemistry, and at the same time have humans capable of creating incredible works of symphony and art. How is it that a person can manifest with stigmata, apart from the religious aspect? Can their mind be strong enough to cause them to bleed spontaneously merely with suggestion of extreme religious fervor if there is no more than just synaptic impulses there. There must be a soul or spirit component to our existence.

What about people who see spirits? Are they all crazy? Is it just altered brain chemistry? I think not. Some people do have schizophrenia, and have delusions. I know this is true. But I wonder how many "sensitives" were diagnosed with schizophrenia because others could not conceive that they could see with the "third eye." Sadly, the shysters have made it hard for the people who truly have had paranormal experiences. Everyone assumes that they are making it up or perpetrating a hoax.

I am grateful that my third eye is only partially open. I can't imagine those who are truly "sensitive" and see these things all the time. Imagine going into a person's house and seeing spirits, and knowing that person won't believe it if you tell them. I have experienced personally being in the situation where I was in the middle. I could percieve things that a very
"sensitive" person saw, but I also could see that perhaps there was a mental instability component as well. It made it really hard for me, not knowing what to do. Which way do I go? Do I call this person crazy, when I know that some things that they saw were seen by me as well. Do I speak out and say this person is perfectly sane when I am not sure that is true?

It is said that the average human only uses 7% of their cerebral cortical function. What is that other 93% for? Is it possible that those abilities that are dismissed by logical people reside in that reserve part of the brain, such as clairvoyance, psychokinesis, remote viewing, etc? I can't rule it out. I don't think anyone can. Why do we dream? Is this not an incredible phenomena that our brain can put images together into a sometimes coherent movie that plays in our consciousness as we sleep?


Despite proudly calling myself a scientist, and being trained in scientific method, I firmly believe that science does not and never will have the answer for all questions. I believe that a component of scientific theory is having faith. The first people who came up with germ theory did not have microscopes to see the bacteria. But they had a hypothesis that there was something that was being passed from one sick person to a healthy person that made the healthy person sick. They had to take it on faith that that substance was there until the microscope technology could definitively prove their hypothesis.

The same goes for dark matter. We cannot see it, or perceive it, but there must be something holding the galaxy together. Is that so different from believing there might be a creator that brought all things together?

These are all questions that go through my mind. I think that life is most interesting if you leave yourself somewhat open to the wondering if what you see is all there is.

Comments

Cheryl St.John said…
I followed you here, too.

Do you Twitter? Follow me: http://twitter.com/CherylStJ

Popular posts from this blog